Friday 16 January 2015

The Mentalist - Little Yellow House

Pheeeeew, what an episode! It was every seconds of perfection. Too many wonderful moments, too many feels. What's with this season really? If last episode was all about symbolism on how Lisbon put broken Jane together, this episode was a literal demonstration on how Jane put broken Lisbon back together. Speaking of broken things put together, the blue tea cup is back as a regular, shining to its glory. Yesss!! Congratulations again to a brilliant new writer Marisa Wegrzyn. I'm just going to assume that she has been writing for The Mentalist discreetly and being a fan herself for years. I mean, look at her style, the use of previous episodes references, and everything. She magically fulfilled a dream for die hard Lisbon fans like myself and every Lisbian being on the planet. And Blake Neely...thank you for the new Lisbon family theme, you always have a way to make me flip splendidly.

Jabottisbon

Ok, before anything else. Just when Abbott fascinated me about his deep parallelism with Jane, this episode revealed another parallelism with Lisbon. Gadd, how much I love this boss. Dennis bear is the big brother to 5 siblings whom he always wanted to strangle, just like how momma Lisbon raised her 3 kids. Now I understand his fascination on being a cupid for Jane and Lisbon - he truly connects with them both as a human being, could understand how broken they were and how much they belong together. That love could heal everything and fix you. He is us, the audience. Oh show, look what you've done to me, I just created a backstory on "Abbott - The Cupid Origin". Cheers to the BBFFS (Boss Best Friends Forever)!



I was so moved on this scene. Jane was so fascinated to learn about her childhood. Teresa Lisbon made it into the paper as the Student of The Week and dude he's so proud of her. He decided to take her childhood photo with him as it was too priceless not to (Robin Tunney, I can't thank you enough for donating your fetus photo for the show, it means so much).






And when he said "I love your wall graffiti here" I was so close to actual tears (Partly blaming Blake Neely for his amazing score in this scene). There's obviously something very moving about learning your loved ones' past, who you were and what makes who you are today. Saint Teresa was that innocent, smart, happy little girl until a tragedy transformed her. And Jane's continuous genuine concern over her throughout the episode was so moving. Kudos to Simon for the subtle yet moving performance.

I believe her graffiti was a foreshadowing. A little yellow house, a couple and a child with a dog and a citroen. Feels...........






"I'm not messy. You're messy on the inside" - this is very telling on Lisbon's character. She isn't a tough-cop-tough-human-being in nature, but a person who's trying hard to be tough (remember Bruno's interview? Yes that's what I'm talking about). Her character is not less complex to Jane's - they're both human being who've been trying hard to deal with their own demons and guilt, living each day by putting on a front, and sometimes their fragile self forced them to live in a lie as their defence mechanism. The only difference is: Lisbon is a bad liar when come to others but she's a very good liar to herself, while Jane is a good liar to both. I know she genuinely thinks that her brothers hated her when in actuality I feel that that might be her subconscious refuse to address her guilt. Its easier to think "my brothers hated me so I'm not going to see them" than thinking "I don't feel comfortable around my brothers so I'm not gonna see them - which returns back to her guilt". Or am I reading too much? All I know is she is one big messy girl. You're also a twist-within-twist within yourself, Teresa. Thank you Jane for making her realised, opening it up to her and fixing her soul. I wish you both for all the simplicity in life.









This song and the shot were not chosen randomly!
















Wega was so amusing. Honestly I wasn't expecting this, it definitely adds freshness into the show. Just one thing: I just hope there would be a subtitle on every Espanyola Vega. 








THE CASE!!!

The case was fantastic!!! Not only the twist was brilliant but it also address back to previous episode. Lisbon said that she enjoyed being a psychic that she wanted to do it again and she got it. And we get our Mentalisbon Lisyschic 2.0, only this time it was with that 2cm leather skirt and legs legs legs. Holy Lisbian Heaven! I love it so much that the con this season were done by 2 person instead of 1. 





The power of the airstream talk

Now we know her habit of running away: from Greg, from admitting her true love to herself, her fear to commitment, all lead back to her phobia of feeling trapped as a kid. And then again all these actions lead back to hurting people and the guilt rolled on. If she hadn't met Jane her life would be all screwed up. Thank god she did. Only he could disentangle her complex self. Meanwhile she did still try to put on a front at the beginning but Jane the only person who's able to bring down her mask did it. 

LAST SCENE

The last scene was the best scene of the entire season (possibly the entire show) or maybe its just me. Lisbon's dress, hairstyle and performance remind me so much about Indie Tunney especially her role as Izzy in Open Window. And being a religious Tunney fan doesn't help, it actually magnified the feelings tenfold.


I couldn't help but notice the height & size difference here. So I googled the actors' height for science. Turns out Robert Belushi is 5'6 (1.68m), Derek Phillips 5'9 (1.75m), Robin's 5'4 (1.62m) + 0'2 (3-5cm) of her heels = 5'6 (1.67m) give or take. She's still shorter with heels meaning to say the shot was taken intentionally. Were they trying to deliver that the Lisbon family is genetically small in size, or was it to show that Lisbon was the head of the family aka the mother figure? If anyone have any ideas please comment below.




"I'm glad we came back home". We. Home. with a tilted head, iDeadTeresa showed him what coming home to a family felt like. Her family which is his too. The warmth, the lighting, the shots, the balloons, the breeze effects all expressing what heaven felt like - whole setting was another foreshadowing of their future. 


Jane looked genuinely in a bliss here holding the baby with a reference to season 1's The Thin Red Line, and lifting the baby up high could easily be a reference to his happy memory as a child. Only difference is this could be a happy future instead of a happy memory of the past. No doubt Teresa's eyes immediately opened up and hence.....she said it! You did it Teresa, you did it! I wasn't expecting this at all so it caught me by surprise! I know how hard it is for both characters to say I love you out loud so this was a very significant development to me. It's a tell that she's wanting to take the relationship to a whole new level: a future. Its a kick to her testament that she found the courage and hence, felt compelled to say it.




Robin's face was all cuteness to its glory!!! It was nuanced, subtle, a very well controlled performance!







Look at their laughs....They are soulmates, made by tragedy, captured by destiny and locked by eternity.




One Last Mention:
I decided to add this last paragraph for personal reason. You can skip it if you want :).


"S'mores. I love s'mores."
"Graham crackers, chocolate, marshmallows..."
"60 seconds toasted on a campfire."
"S'mores are better in a microwave."



My heart skipped abit when they discussed about s'mores because:








Last month, I designed a wrap cake for the cast and crew, had it sent together with my Tunney clan Jordan, Maria, Tea, Kim and Leah. And that was EXACTLY the cake flavor I chose! Why? I've no idea, 6th sense, maybe
Jane and Lisbon sitting on my S'mores cake was purely coincidental, but watching this show for so many years may or may have not transformed myself into a psychic. 


So excuse me while I have a moment here.










Final last words. 
I doubted there could be any show, ever, that could make such a meaningful, in depth love story without adding any dramatic effect like ours! Simon and Robin give out the best literature. They are a legend. I am just so immensely proud. And I'm going to miss this show SO MUCH.


Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment below. I love reading feel-inducing comments to further intensify my insanity. Cheers.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

January 2024 and I keep going back and rewatching 'The Mentalist'