Friday 23 January 2015

The Mentalist - The Whites Of His Eyes


Before I started anything else, I needed to let it out. I FREAKING LOVE SEASON 7 TO THE COOOOOOOORE. Phew! 

This was another unusual Mentalist episode, couldn't topped my The Silver Briefcase and Little Yellow House but it was still very mind blowing for me. Very intensely rhythmed, full of adrenalin episode that kept me at the edge of my seat the entire time. The case was like a one big scene to me. I have to admit all these new brains from the new writers were adding so much freshness into the show. It creates a new Mentalist with style! Far far away from the usual procedural shows monotony. Big kudos to Erin Donovan for her amazing masterpiece.

The parallelism between the witness Lilly Stoppard and her family's story continuously giving a nudge to Jane and Lisbon's current situation and hey I thought it worked out well. I greatly adore Jane's line: Is Henry's birth right gonna be one of proud bravery, or sensible caution? 
So much depth into morality, very true and accurate - which goes back again to Jane and Lisbon's. Is their risky job for a good cause outweigh the safety of their well being and future, and love? What is your true purpose of living now? New angle for both of them to ponder. 

All in all, it was a fabutastic team work to catch the bad guy (though Jane was visibly off the entire time - I mean, who can blame the guy? He's worried sick for his girl). The guest star who played the sniper, Mr Brendan Wayne did us proud for shaving his head. 

Meanwhile, I'm having a moment of nostalgia from my inner Tunney fangirl due to:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
































My whole body was literally screaming EMPIRE RECORDS while watching that scene. Brendan and Robin could be baldies on screen BFFs. That being said, he played a crazy sniper with excellence. The guest stars that we've gotten this season is just A.M.A.Z.I.N.G, enough said.


The Jane-Robin Foosball scene.












I'm happy that every new episode reveals a new side of Lisbon. This episode showed something that was never shown before: her wild, competitive, boyish side. That tells a lot about her roots from growing up with boys. She seemed at ease and at herself so much while enjoying every seconds of it. I bet she'd never let out herself like this in ages, nor I doubted she'd ever truly let out with other people other than Jane. It was amusing, and refreshing! Yes, I called it the Jane-Robin Foosball scene, that entire scene especially the laugh out LOUD was purely Robin goodness! The entire time I was asking myself, where did Lisbon go? Robin was obviously hiding her while she got carried away giving out her own self. But Robin my Hunney, girl of course iApprove. 
Jane on the other hand remained Jane and I couldn't help but laughed so hard at his face.



Inside the #Lovetruck

This scene hurts okay. Let me bring back his line: The idea of letting someone close to me is terrifying for obvious reason.
And now his fears is starting to prove itself in the realms of reality. The whole scene he just needed to say three-powerful-words: This is different.



Thanks to Teresa who managed to ease his stiffness a little from her typical tease and cute and tenderness. The sleep wear was a big bonus! 
















Look at my OTP, looking all cuddly and adorable under a million stars.

Let me quote the lyrics of Livin' On A Prayer:
We've got to hold on to what we've got.
It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not.
We've got each other and thats a lot.
For love we'll give it a shot.
Let that sink in.

Then I wonder where did Jane's lyric "mmmh take off the pain" come from? Its not part of Mr Bon Jovi's lyric. He's obviously rambling his heart out. LOL!

The powerful angst. The idea of letting anyone close to me is terrifying for obvious reason.
It's nice to finally see some angst in their romance after all the honeymoon period. Not that I'm a sadist but every relationship has bumps. But thanks to this show for putting so much realism and making it so legitimately believable into it. It was heart wrenching and beautiful at the same time. 
Jane has great fundamental fears, we all understand that. This guy basically just able to put himself together with the help of a soulmate after 16 years of therapy. I seriously couldn't see him able to give life another chance if he ever lose Lisbon. Thus his action was purely legit. It was the right thing to do. His face when he said "Yep, probably" basically screams "I'm going to save(or protect) you Lisbon, whether you like it or not" and he'd do anything to protect his loved one. 
Lisbon on the other hand, protecting people isn't just about her job of being a cop or how much a good cop she is. It's who she is, the roots of her soul. I totally understand her sticking to her morale. She's a strong woman with principles and she holds on to it firmly. I adore her firmness from a woman's point of view. Many times in love we tend to lose ourself, got drifted away by emotions, became insensible and forgone our principles. All the while not realising that we've changed into a different person and one day we ask ourselves, who am I now?
Not Lisbon. Her first instinct was enraged by Jane's action and she remained angry at the very end of the scene, which is totally true from a professional point of view. How could you work together if you can't trust each other professionally? It's definitely a conflict of interest. Can lovers still be colleagues? Hang on, I feel like I just repeated Bruno's words in a way. Now your life isn't just about who you are Teresa, it's a two person's baggage. I know this is totally a new ground for you to have found a true love, but you have to work something out - find a balance. Oh my god this is so interesting to see, I absolutely have no idea how are they going to solve this or where are they going to go from here. 

The way the writers doing this is so legitimate, so natural, so believable, so authentic, so much realism and SO IN CHARACTERS. A nudge to other crime/romance shows, this is how you do a good story telling without compromising the characters' character and not added forced stories for the sake of creating stories/angst.

Just out of curiosity, how would you want them to end up at the end? I personally would love to see them quit law enforcement at the end of the series, just retire, still doing something for a good cause but from different aspect that doesn't compromise their safety. Relax, unwind, have a peace of life. They've done enough goodness in their lives that now they deserve all the peace and happiness in the world.

1 comment:

ImsonotMelville said...

Really love how you bring up Bruno's quote from before. always enjoy your reviews!