Friday 6 February 2015

The Mentalist - Nothing Gold Can Stay


There's almost an equal split of opinions on this episode. Fortunately, I belonged to Team Approve. To me, plot devices are always necessary to move the characters' forward. It's just the way of story telling. But I feel blessed that with this show, the devices they used were very much focus on the characters' character evolution instead of storylines focus. Its always been that. It just felt natural, it makes us feel like that the characters are alive. Heck I could even write a full biography of Jane and Lisbon like they're real human being. 

Last year, I believe Kim Fischer was created as a purpose to trigger and address the romantic side of Jane and Lisbon. But after the upsetting feedback from the audience *cough White Lines cough* they immediately switched their steering wheel and invented Pike (oh THANK GOD. I'm with Robin. I so not approving Lisbon character being punished for her loyalty after all these years. It's only felt right if the role were reversed). So at the end of the day they may not see anymore purpose on Fischer character hence they ditched her. At the beginning of this season, I kept asking myself what's with the creation of this new regular character. In our Final season, really? As time went by I started to sense that she might be created as a purpose of putting Jane and Lisbon to the next level, to wrap up the storyline. I thought it was a perfect setup for the Finale. And Tom S interview just confirmed it all. Bless!

The episode was tragic, heart breaking but wonderful. Its very well written, well directed (the slow mo part hello *_*), well acted and well scored. Another big congratulations to Alex Berger for this fantabulous piece. Did you also realize it was only the second time our show used an actual song for the background music. First one being Something's Gotten Hold of My Heart. And I think Civil's Twilight - Letters From The Sky fits very nicely for the funeral scene. 

Basically, everything is PERFECT in all levels if only...........IF only....IF ONLY CB-Ass did not fail the trailer last week. Unfortunately, that forbidden spoiler brought down a whole lot of my enjoyment. Thank you CBS, perhaps in the next life I will forgive you. I know I've anticipated Vega's death since last December, my utter big mouth even tweeted it here (I started to believe it was a jinx hence CBS' punishment towards me), but the way the episode was made I would never expect that it will happen in this particular one. The plot was built up so seamlessly, with all the happiness and light at the beginning - Jane and Lisbon planning a weekend gateway, Wiley being accepted to the dinner date *hurray I was so happy for you dude*, Wiley and cupid Abbott bonding, Vega's finally being so comfortable with the team, Vega being so cute with brutha Cho, Cho cracked a smile, Chocolate mints to put on honeymoon pillows and so on and so forth. God, that was an ideal life of a perfect FBI Family!!! And then suddenly BOOM, tragedy happened in the very least expected way and the whole tone of the episode turned 180 degrees. So much shock, so much agony, so much vengeance all blended in one. It was giddify-ing. This is the definition of a PERFECT writing for a tragic episode with character death - kill the audience when they least expected (it reminds me of Homeland S2 Finale, it had a similar tone of delivering shock). So imagine, just IMAGINE if we weren't spoiled at all. The shock and emotional impact would at least be 200 times higher. So excuse me if I'm still mad that I didn't get to experience that. And I feel very sorry for the cast and crew who had worked so hard assembling this roller coaster ride to surprise us. Rant enough.

It was a tear jerker to watch Joe and Tim playing Wiley and Cho's emotions. I feel so much for Wiley. This must be the first death he'd ever encountered in the FBI. He likes the girl and cares about her so much, even asked for a dating tip from the boss. Like Abbott said, she already said yes, that was the hard part - who would have thought that he accomplished one goal to only have him face a mind-blowing tragedy, a lost that is beyond hard. Poor guy. 

Lisbon being the mother figure hugging the boy doesn't help stopping the tears. The hug was very momental. Excuse me while I sit in my corner to cry. 

Hands down to Tim's fantabulous performance. Its sad and liberating at the same time to see Cho just completely lift down his mask. It must be very traumatic to have his rookie died on his first day taking over the unit. Poor Cho. This was by far the best performance of Tim in the show. And I couldn't help but cry when I see Vega's face on the computer screen. 






Before I move on to the last part, I feel the need to mention this:

"You didn't have to do that.
No I didn't, but I want to spend some time alone with you, and it should be at some place that you like."

I greatly adore this scene. Very light yet heart warming. Just Jane on a regular day being a normal person doing all his means to make his girl happy. He gives in so much to her because he's happy when she's happy. This is the normal Jane, when his mental issues does not kick in. Though at some point, I hope he'd put the relationship on equal level. Love is all about give and take, not about giving in 100% to the alpha. 

The dreadful heartbreaking speech:
Firstly, Jane and Lisbon fundamentally came from a different world. They're two different person, almost at the opposite side of a coin so to speak - different upbringing, different personality, different ideal about life, a total opposite character. It was tragedy and aloneness that drawn them both together. That being said it doesn't mean that being together would diminished all their differences and be totally lost in who they are as a person. No matter how GREAT love is there's always differences that will come between your way that you have to overcome. Your differences is your trains within your life track. It's just life in all its realism. This whole thing happened with Vega is a catalyst as to how are they going to compromise their differences as it forced them to bring out their issues to the surface and deal with it. Without a driving force, of course we tend to close ones eyes pretending that we're okay with our relationship, just live and get by instead of dealing with it. And that is so wrong in a story telling world. We needed the closure as it is our series finale. Hence I say it again, it is a perfect setting for the finale.

Jane:
I could understand Jane's behavior as I've never read him like a normal human being. He's someone with mental issues, he has post traumatic stress disorder, he's neurologically abnormal.  He had been incarcerated in a locked room by Dr Miller for a decent amount of time. Someone with this kind of mental instability couldn't heal 100% completely, or so clinically speaking. With the help of Lisbon, he has taken a step forward dealing with it by giving himself a second chance to live again, found love and be happy. As much as he's happy and be human again, that doesn't mean that when a similar traumatic event occurs his sickness wouldn't kick in. It's very natural that those events aroused his chronic disease: which is FEAR, trauma, phobia. Hence his body immediately turned him back to be the son of a bitch who is utterly selfish and self destructive. That's just the way his body deals with the issues, a way of self defence mechanism. I choose to believe that he didn't mean it when he say he's leaving as it will never be his genuine intention to hurt Lisbon - consciously. My bet is it was an impulse that he would realised it soon and I hope I'm right.

That being said, it doesn't mean that I'm happy for what he'd done. I'm still very mad at him for what he did to Lisbon eventhough I understand where he's coming from. Especially his threatening line now, you can come with me or you can stay here but..I have to go. My heart breaks a million pieces seeing Lisbon so heartbroken and realising her fear. But all this is so fantastic in a way that it is an ABSOLUTE FLAWS in character from a flawless writing. So I shall say thank you writers for creating such a complex, anomaly character that is so vivid and real and so analytical for the audience. 

Lisbon:











Scary too. I don't know what's gonna happen, if he's gonna stick around or...
It's been her fear of him leaving but it happened again anyway. It's been 3 times now, the only difference is this time he is the love of her life, someone for the FIRST time ever in her life that she has longed to have a future with, and grow old with. She's hurt, but what makes it hurt more is her reaction didn't show any shocks like she'd anticipated him leaving, like its just a matter of time.
Suddenly, this line became accurate again: "You don't give a damn about what I want or need, it's all about you. You used me" Now, CAN WE PLEASE HAVE THE FIRST 20 MINS OF THE NEXT WEEK EPISODE HAVING LISBON BOMBARDING JANE WITH HER POINT OF VIEW, HOW MUCH SHE'S FED UP AND EVERYTHING'S NOT JUST ABOUT HIM. THE WOMAN NEEDS THE SAY TOO. Tunney's face with crying, trembling Lisbon could make the whole Austin cry. For the umpteenth times I just want to bow down to this woman. 

I love how both Jane and Lisbon are creatures with so many flaws and weaknesses. I'm just so intrigued to see how are they going to make a compromise or what does it take to overcome those flaws and differences. At the end, I personally would love to see them taken the road of quitting law enforcement. I know its who Lisbon is but most of the times in love there's always a compromise, you gain some lose some, as long as it is still within a stretch of your moral and virtue its fine. Not approving Jane's imagination of sail boats and travel around the world because thats not who Lisbon is. I'm imagining somewhere between going across the States with their Airstream, still doing something for a good cause, maybe using Jane's mentalist skill to make a difference. Save lives, help childrens (or animals). Just do something good, make the world a better place. Thats a midpoint compromise I could think of for this two. Not too out of character. But of course at the end of the day, I'd take whatever they give. All I want is great writing. Hehe.





RIP Agent Vega. I've grown fond of you. You'll be fondly remembered.









Civil Twilight - Letters From The Sky
One of these days the sky's gonna break
And everything will escape and I'll know
One of these days the mountains
Are gonna fall into the sea and they'll know
I was made to taste your kiss
We were made to never fall away
Never fall away
From the sky telling us all to go free
But until that day I'll find a way
To let everybody know that you're coming back
You're coming back for me
I have nothing left to fear
These are only walls that hold me here
Hold me here, hold me here, hold me here
Only walls that hold me here
And we will hear those planes overhead
And we won't have to be scared
'Cause we won't have to be scared
We won't have to be, yeah, scared, no
You're coming back for me
You're coming back to me
You're coming back for me
You're coming back for me
You're coming back for me
You're coming back for me
You're coming back for me
You're coming back for me
You're coming back for me
You're coming back for me
You're coming back for me
You're coming back for me
You're coming back to me
You're coming back to me
You're coming back

That you and I were made for this
One of these days letters are gonna fall
'Cause even though you left me here
One day soon I'll hold you like the sun holds the moon
You're coming back for me
You're coming back for me
You're coming back for me
You're coming
You're coming back for me
You're coming back for me


No comments: